Comments from Webmaster Steve Butler ■ Email contact


photograph Corporal Albert Anderson - circa 1918
Trooper Arthur Colgan shows off his best mate "Barney" in front of a North Auckland Mounted Rifles camp in Turkish Palestine, late 1917 or sometime 1918.
A further image from the camera of Corporal Anderson as the NZMR moved Northwards pushing Turkish forces back out of the territories the Ottoman Empire had held for over four hundred years.
Full Name: Arthur Colgan
Serial No.: 48624
First Known Rank: Trooper
Occupation before Enlistment: Farmer
Next of Kin: Mrs Annie Colgan (mother), Upper Waiwera, Auckland, New Zealand
Body on Embarkation: New Zealand Expeditionary Force
Embarkation Unit: 27th Reinforcements Mounted Rifles Brigade
Embarkation Date: 31 May 1917
Place of Embarkation: Wellington, New Zealand
Vessel: Westralia
Destination: Suez, Egypt
Nominal Roll Number: 64
Page on Nominal Roll: 6
Additional Information: Westralia then transhipped to "Port Lincoln" at Sydney for Suez.


21st Anniversary issue
penny and half-penny
stamps 1936.

50th Anniversary issue
4 penny and 5 penny
stamps 1965.

2008 stamp
90th Anniversary of
Anzac 2008.









photograph Corporal Albert Anderson - AMR - circa 1917

We wish we could tell you more about this never before published photograph of an Auckland Mounted Rifles Machine Gun Crew. A fantastic image sharp and clear as the day it was taken - sadly Albert Anderson didn't write any names on the obverse of the picture. - all that is noted in his Album is; "Hotchkiss Gun and Crew." The men wear the AMR hat badge and one man wears the white and red flash on his pugaree hat band that denotes the AMR Regiment.

We can however tell you that these men were the cream of New Zealand's defence force. The Machine Gun teams were a special breed of men. More than capable soldiers, they were competent horsemen, excellent marksmen and mechanically minded. Their ability to survive and act under extreme conditions was legendary.
(any information on these men would be greatly appreciated - it is most probable that these men came from the North Auckland Region of Wellsford and North).

Now Posted.
Read the second installment from the Letters and Diary of 11/92 Corporal Roderick McCandlish of the 6th Manawatu Mounted Rifles.

Part two covers the events of the NZMR departure from training in Egypt to the landing on Gallipoli. Roderick writes his impressions in his Diary:

(Thur 13th May) - Fine day. Orders came for us to go into the trenches. Marched up a very steep hill onto Walkers Ridge. Was put into the trenches. Saw snipers at work. Enemy trenches 50 yards away. Australians in between. Very difficult to know what to fire at.

Read the new page HERE


photograph Corporal Albert Anderson - cica 1918

Troopers get the message loud and clear as they ride up to the water troughs at Wadi el Fara. This water station reserved for the NZMR Brigade and the men are politely informed to: "Support your fellow man and take a turn on the pumps, don't stand on, or rip, the canvas hose lines, and once your horse is watered, depart the area ASAP". (Or words to that effect!)

Wadi el Fara had been the site of the wholesale destruction of the Turkish Seventh Army, where on September 21st 1918 members of the 1st Squadron Australian Flying Corps sighted the retreating Turkish VII and immediately began an attack. This was to be a turning point in the concept of aerial warfare strategy. Squadrons of bombers totaling approximately 70 aircraft in number were called in by the Squadron on their newly innovated air to ground radios. The scrambled aircraft arrived in time to continue pressing on the attack, not allowing the enemy any respite in his attempt to protect himself.
The Turks found their wheeled transport had nowhere to run from the wadi floor as AFC and the RFC strafed and bombed the 7,000 men repeatedly. Numbers of casualties were not recorded but were very heavy - the British jointly lost only two aircraft that day, and one was believed not to have resulted from the action itself.
In the words of F. M. Cutlack, the official historian:

The panic and the slaughter beggared all description. The long, winding, hopeless column of traffic was so broken and wrecked ... that the bombing machines gave up all attempt to estimate the losses under the attack, and were sickened of the slaughter. In all the history of war there can be few more striking records of wholesale destruction.


photograph Albert Gustaf Anderson Collection - computer colourised - circa 1918

Albert Anderson hailed from Whangaripo, North Auckland. He was born November 21st 1892 to a former Swedish national, Nils Gustaf Anderson, and a New Zealand mother Margaret (nee Finnigan).
He had been a volunteer member of the Auckland Mounted Rifles before the war, but as he was married with two children he was passed over until later in the war. On the 21st February 1917 he sailed on the "Moeraki" with the 22nd Reinforcements to Sydney. In Australia he transferred to the "Boora" and sailed from Melbourne for Suez, Egypt. Disembarked 20th June 1917.

As a Signaller he served with the AMR and saw action at numerous contacts including Tel el Saba, Ayun Kara, Jericho and Amman.

Daughter, Lucy Dunning has forwarded a large collection of photograph albums and letters which the Association is now more than pleased to present over the next few months.

Like many men of the era, Albert was called upon to serve again in the Second World War.
Here with a cheeky grin Albert poses for a family camera as he "Parades" in his Home Guard uniform - All spit and polish and still wearing the WW1 issued bandolier.
This photograph taken probably 1940 when he was 48 years old and had just been called into the Home Defence at Whangarei, No.2 (Kaipara) Squadron, Mounted Rifles.
Albert carried out extended duties as a driver, but was to fall into ill health and was discharged from the service in 1943. He was not to see the end on the war and died March 1945.

Followers of Trooper James Russell's photo album of the 21st Reinforcements will be pleased to see this months (April) images from 1917 now posted HERE.
Each month images are taken from the album relating to the appropriate month and posted as a time lapsed account - This month 93 years ago.
(If you have not seen the first few months start on the first page HERE.)
The photograph at top left brought about an interesting email to our President Greg Bradley from a member of the public early this week:

Hi Greg,

My Mother in Law (Maureen Grayson nee Hussey 80 yrs old) visited today and I showed her the photo's from James Russell on your web site.
We had to use a magnifying glass!!

She was looking at photos from 8th Feb bottom right photo and said
"That's my Dad" very exciting for us all.

So Edward Vane Hussey is the man on the Left (protruding ears and early balding still carries on in the genes today lol) in the photo of the 3 troopers.

Really looking forward to the next installment of photos.

Cheers Sandra

photograph Trooper Albert Gustaf Anderson collection - circa 1918

A small group of Infantry from the British West Indies (BWI) Regiment pose for the camera of 11th North Auckland Mounted Rifleman, Trooper Albert Anderson. This photo taken in Camp somewhere in Turkish Palestine 1918.
BWI troops first went into action under the command of New Zealand General Edward "Fiery Ted" Chaytor with his "Chaytor Force". Crossing of the Jordan River on the night of the 21st September 1918 they supported the Auckland Mounted Rifles taking the bridge crossing at Jisr Ed Damieh.
I am sending this never before published photograph onto Dr. Richard Smith - author of the book "Jamaican Volunteers in the First World War" for comment. The sergeant standing in the middle is flanked by a lance-corporal on his right, and at first glance all the other men all appear to hold the rank of privates. However the man sitting front left appears to be wearing an officers "Sam-Brown" webbing. I am unsure as to whether the BWI's had black officers or not, and it looks strange that an officer would sit with other enlisted men while the N.C.O.'s stand. Certainly New Zealand Mounted Rifles N.C.O's wore similar webbing to the man in left front, but why then does the sergeant not wear the same webbing - hopefully we will have comment soon.

I am pleased to say this is the first photo from Trooper Anderson's collection that arrived yesterday in bulk, due to the generosity of his daughter Lucy Dunning, and also to Cheryl Tomich.
Cheryl was delighted to see her grandfather, Sergeant Angus Roderick "Pat" Dunning, in one of our recently published photos from the Fred Foote collection, a collection that we have been posting over the last two months. While talking to a cousin about her find she discovered that her father also had served with the North Auckland Mounted Rifles - and like Fred Foote, all three men had come from North Auckland and all had served with the AMR Signals. Both women have collections and mementos of their relatives and they decided on the spot to loan their collections to the NZMR to preserve digitally and post on our website.
Therefore we have two new photograph collections to process. I am sure they will keep us all enthralled as we unveil more images from our past.

Each year on April 25th Australian and New Zealanders remember the sacrifice of our men and women who have died in all wars. This year is the 95th anniversary of the day the men from our two nations forged an inseparable bond as they landed under arms on that far off peninsular of Gallipoli, a desolate rugged shore that is now known as Anzac Cove.
Although this is a solemn occasion of family remembrance, many of you will be taking children and perhaps grandchildren to an Anzac Dawn Parade for the first time, we at the Association would like to present you with a recipe for "Anzac Biscuits" to feed the kids before you go, or maybe for a snack in that early morning light.
The NZMRA extend a warm thank you for the support of our membership throughout the year.
If you would like to attend a service being held at your local RSA (RSL in Australia) give them a ring - often they have tickets that are available to attend events during the day, these are mostly reserved for their membership, but it is a good time to ask now - don't wait until two days before. This time is also a good opportunity to ask about membership - support your local community.


* 1 cup of plain flour
* 1 cup of sugar
* 1 cup of rolled oats
* 1 cup of shredded coconut
* 125 gms of butter
* 1 tablespoon of Golden Syrup
* 2 tablespoons of hot water
* salt

Grease a baking tray. Preheat the oven to 180 degree C.
Combine the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, oats and coconut – add about half a teaspoon of salt. (salt to taste)
Melt butter and golden syrup and add one tablespoon of hot water water. ( Second tablespoon to add if mixture too dry.)
Pour the butter mixture into the dry ingredients and mix everything together well.
Drop desert spoons of the mixture onto the tray and flatten slightly with the back of the spoon. They will expand a bit so leave some space around them.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden, take out and let stand for a few minutes before putting on a wire rack to cool.
(note there are many slight variations available on this recipe - some add a single teaspoon of bicarbonate soda).

Important Update for Cooks: (thanks for the email Ewan - 17th April)

Old NZ recipes have 2 level teaspoons of Edmonds Baking Powder. Later recipes deleted that and added ½ teaspoon of soda
It is also interesting that the ratios of key ingredients changed through time in the Edmonds Cookery Book (1st Entry I have for Anzac biscuits is in the 7th Edition, the only earlier one that I own is the 4th Edition which does not have Anzac Biscuits in it)
Flour, coconut and rolled oats equal measure + 2/3 measure of sugar and 1/3 measure butter in the pre WW2 period
Coconut and rolled oats equal measure + 3/4 measure (increased) of sugar + 3/4 measure of flour (decreased) and 1/4 (decreased) measure of butter in the post WW2 period
Regards Ewan Campbell